Before I go any further, I need to state that Rockstar is NOT ending online support for GTA 5 the PS4 and other current systems (Xbox One and PC). Instead, the end of GTA 5 online is actually coming to the older consoles which is the PS3 and Xbox 360.
Why is this happening you ask? Well think about it, where are most of the new online content being released to? It certainly isn’t the PS3 and most people are playing the game on the current generation of systems instead of the older consoles.
Support for the PS3 is slowly coming to an end and now with Rockstar removing online support for this system, you can bet that other game companies will follow suit.
If you have an older system and Grand Theft Auto V for it, but haven’t transferred over your online character and content to the newer systems, you have until March 6th to do so before Rockstar permanently deletes the online support and servers on the older systems.
I transferred over my created character and content a long time ago and have been enjoying it a lot on the PS4. If you’ve read some of my past posts, you’ll know about the stuff I’ve done in the online world ever since I bought the PS4 version of GTA V.
If you have not done a transfer yet, the following from Rockstar Support Forum will tell you how:
“Transferring to PlayStation®4
What you need:
- A copy of Grand Theft Auto V on PlayStation®4.
- Previous Grand Theft Auto Online character and eligible progression data on either PlayStation®3 or Xbox 360.
- Note: When transferring from PlayStation®3 to PlayStation®4, you must use the same PSN ID. A new PSN ID on PlayStation®4 cannot be transferred to from a different PSN ID on PlayStation®3 since your character’s progress is tied to the PSN account.
- A Rockstar Games Social Club account. If you do not already have a Social Club account, you will need to create one. Click here for info on creating an account.
- A PlayStation®Network account and PlayStation®Plus membership.
- If transferring from PlayStation®3, your Social Club account will need to be linked to the PlayStation®Network account used to play GTA Online on both systems.
- If transferring from Xbox 360, your Social Club account will need to be linked to the Xbox Live account used while playing GTA Online on Xbox 360 and the PlayStation®Network account used to play GTA Online on PlayStation®4.
- If you still need to link your Social Club account to your console account(s), please click here for more information.
How to transfer your previous Grand Theft Auto Online character and progression data to PlayStation®4:
- Start Grand Theft Auto V on PlayStation®4 and log into the PlayStation®Network.
- Enter GTA Online via the Character Select Wheel or the Pause Menu.
- You will be given the option to transfer your previous GTA Online character and progression data, along with the opportunity to change your character’s appearance again. If you wish to complete the transfer later, you can return to this option via the Online section of the Pause Menu.
- Once you have chosen to transfer your previous character and progression data, the transferrable in-game money, RP and Rank of all previous characters will be displayed. These are the characters that will be transferred to PlayStation®4. If you have previous character and eligible progression data on both the PlayStation®3 and Xbox 360, you will be prompted to select one set of data. You can only transfer one set of character and progression data for your PlayStation®Network account on PlayStation®4.
- Once the transfer has completed, you will be prompted to choose a character and enter GTA Online.
- Any existing PlayStation®4 GTA Online character and progression data will be replaced by your previous character and progression data during the transfer, except for any existing in-game money, which will be combined with your transferred balance.
- All earned in-game money will transfer. Purchased in-game money that has not yet been spent will only transfer within a console family (e.g. PlayStation®3 to PlayStation®4).
- You will still be able to play with your existing characters on PlayStation®3 and/or Xbox 360, however any progress made with versions of the characters on those systems after a transfer will remain on the those systems only.
- You can only transfer a set of character and progression data from PlayStation®3 or Xbox 360 once.“
Now you know how to transfer your online content and character if you haven’t done so already. Trust me, online support for the PS4 and current generation of systems will continue on for a long time to come because of how popular it is today so the end of GTA 5 online is not imminent on the current systems.